Sunday, March 29, 2009

In Memory of a Dear Brother...Donald Rose

Just a while ago I received word that a dear friend and brother in Christ had passed away. His name is Donald Rose. Don was in his eighty's and was quite vigorous until a year or more ago. When I think of Don many things come to mind I'd like to share with you.

Don was first and foremost a Christian. He was as devout a follower of the Lord as anyone you could imagine. He served, he gave, he cared and he was faithful to his local church when I was his pastor.

Don was a giver. He and his late wife, Irene, decided to give the proceeds of their mobile home and small acreage to start the building fund for the New Life. Their picture hangs in our church as a reminder of their generosity. The sum total was around $15,000 and was a great way to kick things off for us. Today, there is a thriving church there partially because of their love for the work of the Lord and their generosity.

Don was patriotic. He served in the United States Army and was awarded a purple heart. He was active in the American Legion and his vehicle was always decorated with flags, emblems etc. You didn't have to wonder if he was a veteran. He loved to tell stories of the war and of his time as a chef. He loved to use his skills at men's breakfasts...I think it reminded him of his old army days.

Don loved to laugh. He was always the happiest when he was at church. His favorite song was, "I'm glad I know who Jesus is...He is more than just a story, He is the King of Glory, I'm glad I know who Jesus is." He would wave his hand and sing with all of his heart.

Don was involved in the tape/video ministry. He had a room set aside in his home for the sole purpose of duplicating sermons and Bill Gaither videos. (Hope Bill don't find out!!!) He would send those sermons to young men in the military every week. There is no telling how much 'preaching' Don has done vicariously. He really loved to listen to good gospel singing and preaching.

When his darling wife died, Don was really lost for a while. I would visit him and try to cheer him up. Many are the times my dad and I would visit Don in the hospital. He had so much trouble with his intestines and then when his knee was replaced, it never was right. But Don kept on going. As soon as he could, he would be back at church. You could always find Don's Bible near his chair. He would read and study it faithfully. No doubt he and the Lord were best of friends.

Today his race is ended. He is in the presence of God and it is 'church' for eternity for him. There will be no more pain, no more tears, no more hospitals, no more separation from his beloved Irene. I celebrate with you old friend. I love you and miss you already.

I look forward to sharing heaven with you someday. Rest in peace.

Tim Estes

5 comments:

Kendra Estes said...

I didn't know he had passed away. I didn't know Bro. Rose very intimately but even though I wasn't close to him I do remember his giving heart, his love for the church, and his big smile. We need more people who are lifetime Christians in and out of the church walls like Bro. Rose.

Anonymous said...

Oh My Goodness, while I was reading this I couldn't help but to become saddened by this, I didn't know until now, I remember when I was a kid, Bro. Rose would give my brother and I various videos and tapes, as if he were trying to help us with our walk with God. He would come to my current Church and he would still remember who we were when we saw him. He will be greatly missed, but he is in a better place now.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing with those of us who didn't have the pleasure of knowing Bro. Rose. We are truly blessed to stand on the shoulders of those giants who provide us the foundation to continue to build.

Tim Estes said...

Thanks for the response. The graveside service for Bro. Rose was very nice. He would have been pleased with the military honors. He will be missed by all who knew him.

be blessed.

Tim

Brad Hampton said...

I hope to leave a legacy like this one day. It sounds like this man gave all he had to the kingdom. It is so hard for us to give more than what we think we can, but I know God will bless us in ways we cannot measure.