Thursday, April 2, 2009

My Basketball Days

Last week I did something I didn't think I would be doing at my age. I bought a brand new pair of Nike basketball shoes. The reason I bought them is because I have been playing in a church basketball league this winter. We will be wrapping up our season soon, but I have been having a blast with the guys who allowed the 'old guy' to play with them.

All my life I have loved basketball. I didn't play in high school because it was an 'evil, worldly, amusement'. I found it interesting that although my religion didn't allow us to play in school, it was fine to play on the playground, at youth camp, in the park, etc etc. So I took full advantage and played every chance I had. My dad bought a goal for me and put it at the end of a small patio in our backyard. He and my mother will never know how much fun I had and I owe them a lot of thanks. That little patio became 'barnhill arena' and I was the 'razorback team'. I mean in my mind I could be Sidney Moncrief, Marvin Delph, and Ron Brewer all at the same time. It was fun.

When I went to college, I played all the time. I was in top shape and often we ran eight to ten straight games of full court ball. I could jump and shoot back then. At 5' 11" I could dunk a volleyball and could dunk a basketball if someone 'ooped' it to me. Throughout my life I have enjoyed getting to play in various venues, with all types of people.

I cannot tell you how many pair of tennis shoes I have gone through. Let's just say many! I have always wondered when I would buy that last pair and when my playing days would be over. Having gone through a knee surgery and an ankle reconstruction, I figured it would have been before now. But guess what? I am blessed to still be playing.

My team-mates are great guys too. I owe them alot of thanks for letting me get out there with them and act like a teenager again. Let me introduce you to them....they are...Marvelous Matt Markle, Bradley Hangtime Hampton, Mitch MJ Hubbard, Mean Michael Garr, Alan Git-er-done Anderson, Billy Bad-boy Anderson, Allen 'Big Al', Josh Napster Napier, Jonathan Johnnnnny Branson,Tyrell Tatoo Shelly and yours truly. We have had a great time this season playing for NLT. Our record is about 500...meaning we have won as many as we lost. Considering this being our first go around, I think we did fine. There are some really good teams out there. I think on a good night we are capable of beating any of them.

This past week, with two of our guys out, we took on a good team. I felt good and even made about 13 points in the game. I think it must have been the shoes, or the fact that Trish was there to root for me. Anyway, when I took those new shoes off that night, I was grateful to still be having fun, and getting some exercise on the court. I don't know when I will unlace them for the last time, but for now, there is no end in sight. With a little luck, I'll buy a new pair next year when these are worn out.

I hope all my teammates know I appreciate being with them and I think they are all wonderful men. Good luck in the tourney guys.

Tim

6 comments:

Josh Napier said...

GO NLT!!

Brad Hampton said...

I love the nick names! I think our shirts should have the nicknames on the back next year... haha. Well you better not unlace those shoes yet. Next year is going to be the year we come alive. Thanks for playing some ball with us, it has been a great time!

Marvelous Markle said...

The pleasure has been all ours pastor. Playing with you this winter has been so much fun. Dont worry about hanging up the shoes just yet, you still have a lot of good yrs left! Thanks for not just playing but for being one of our top performers. Marvelous Markle OUT!!

Kent A. Morris said...

Reading about the memories of your youth and basketball brings to mind (atleast my mind anyway ! ) of listening to old cowboys talk about their youth. The wild cows they roped, the broncs they rode...ect. The term used for them is "The older he gets the better he was". Just kidding Tim !! You know that you are an inspiration to the rest of us old men ! Keep on keeping up with the kids and we will keep on supporting you !! And while I am here would some one please tell Btad where to find his own blog so he can write on it sometime too !!

Tim Estes said...

Kent,
That is right...the distant memory fails to recall the bad, the hurts, the failures, the losses. I guess if one is a has been...at least he 'was' at some point.

C ya

Tim

Tim Estes said...

Markle the Marvelous,

Thanks buddy. I have enjoyed it too.

Tim