Thursday, March 12, 2009

Ya Gotta Take a Side

Watching a boxing match just is no fun unless you are rooting for someone. The same is true for any sports, football, basketball, soccer, etc. I don't just watch a match or a game in the neutral position, I take sides.

Just this morning, while spending some time with my mother, I watched a couple of big brutes enter the ring. It was something like...."In the Red Corner, Gregory 'great gobstopper pack-a-whop' Dowsinski, fighting against Jeffery 'lightning knuckles, turftoe' Jackson from the Blue Corner." Man, it doesn't take me very long to pick a side, despite the fact that I have never heard of either one. I mean I have mere seconds to decide and it is usually based on which color shorts I like the best, or which one looks like the underdog, or if he has a Christian symbol on his robe, or if he looks the other guy in the eye while the ref gives instructions. You get the point. I mean, I am ready to root this 'pack-a-whop' dude through to victory and have a grand celebration because....I like his tatoo and mostly because....well, I need to root for someone.

If you have any gusto in you, you should root for folks. It appears Jesus did. In fact Christ told one of His own men, who was in the fight of his life, "I have prayed for you!" Jesus rooted for the underdog. He told the woman that was about to get her brains smashed out by law-loving-legalists, "Go, and sin no more!" It's really cool when God says "Go!" It's really cool when He says it several times in succession....like, "Go, Go, Go!" and then follows up with "Great Job!"

As Christians we should be ready to take a side. I don't mean in a church squabble or in personal conflicts with others or merely at the annual volleyball game. I mean we must be ready to root for the sinner finding his/her way to God. To help the single mom who wants so desperately to raise her kids right, but barely has the money to survive. We must chant for the couple who goes through marital troubles, but get the help they need to thrive again. A hallelujah cheer should immediately rise from our hearts and voices when a prodical comes home! These are things for which we should root and cheer.

I think we often spend too much time in neutral. It is easy to sit back and criticize or analyze or any other 'ize' you want to talk about, without getting involved. Time is running out, pick a side! Joshua told his followers, "Choose you this day whom you will serve....as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." I am standing in the corner of those who want salvation, who want love, who want redemption and restoration, and those who can get back up when some situation in life has given them a slobber- knocker!

You will find me yelling at the TV for old, 'what his name' just because I want him to win. Hope you have chosen to support the right things with your life, time, energy and money.

God bless all the Dowsinski's,

Tim

3 comments:

MiKeG said...

I'm just like you, I have to take a side and generally its based on the same things, but its so true, we must take a side. I completely believe in those who want to find a way to God. That is one thing that I absolutely love about our church and about our leadership, especially you. We seem to always be there for those who need us and want to make things right and you're so encouraging and you are amazing at understanding problems and working through them. I feel truly blessed to call you my Pastor.

Tim Estes said...

Thanks Mike G!! You rock as a drummer too! Everyone has problems. We all find ourselves mixed up in the messes we thought we'd never see. But God uses our friends to help us through these difficulties. One of the pleasures of being a pastor is walking with people through their difficulty. Over the years you would be amazed at the tangled messes God has sorted out. If I have been any help in the process...it has been an honor. Love ya bro!!

Tim

Anonymous said...

Dad you crack me up! I love all your crazy lingo! ha ha. I'm on Jesus' side! I choose to love, help, and root for those needing Him. Pretty sure I wouldn't want to root against God's team!