Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Russ Taff is Coming to NLT...and I am stoked about it!!

In case you haven't heard, Russ Taff is coming to hold a concert at New Life Tabernacle on March 7th, 2009. (Tickets can be purchased through the church office) I couldn't be more excited! This is an opportunity that I never dreamt would come my way in my lifetime.

Russ Taff's music has been an inspiration to me personally for most of my life. I had no idea that Russ walked a pathway in his early years that I would walk in my own life years later. That being, to transition from strict 'holiness' denomination to a position of biblical Grace. Although I was loyal, at the time, to my upbringing, I found myself drawn to his music and especially lyrics that spoke of a bigger picture of the Body of Christ. I recall a line from "You're my Brother, You're my Sister" that says, "Sometimes its hard for me to understand, why we pull away from each other so easily even tho we are walking the same road....if you believe in Jesus you belong with me and the bond we share is all I care to see..." Man, that is some powerful stuff that finally came to fruition in my own life years later.

In the days of the Imperials, I saw Russ sing in Barnhill arena. He was easy to spot with his long hair, a characteristic that made him taboo to some in my circle of friends. However, the anointing on his singing was and is still undeniable. Perhaps this is why Billboard Magazine touts him as, "The most electrifying voice in gospel music." I recognize it as the anointing of God upon him.

Russ sings with passion rarely seen in vocalists today. He enjoys the concert and puts his whole heart into it. While I am writing this a whole list of his songs pour through my mind like crystal water. He can take an old hymn too, and do it up like you have never heard in your life! Chills will run the length of your body when he sings one of his most popular tunes, "Praise the Lord." He can rock the house for the youth, or he can slow it down and do some Southern stuff for the older folks. His wide-range appeal is second to none!

I could go on and on, but let me just thank my wife, Trish, and all the folks who have pulled this together to help celebrate our twenty years of ministry here at New Life. On the evening of March 7th, my dad's birthday, I am going to enjoy to the hilt what will be one of the greatest evenings of my life! I hope as many of you as can will enjoy it along with me.

Whether you are a long time fan or whether you will be hearing Russ for the first time, you will not go away disappointed. Google his name and check out his homepage. You will be amazed at the list of awards he has received during his life. God has truly given me a gift when He allowed this talented man, and one who has influenced me heavily, to come to our church for a concert. I hope you can tell...I am stoked about it!

Can't wait to jam!!

Tim

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ive only come to know who Russ Taft is since you told us he would be comming to our church. I have to agree with you that he is awesome!! Maybe soon someone else will start reading your blog too!! Just kidding !! I'm sure lots are reading it , they are just not inclined to comment on them all!! I am really enjoying it !! I can't wait to read Brads blog in the next quarter !!

Tim Estes said...

Kent,

Keep those comments coming. I don't think Brad even checks his pastor's blog. I am sure his blog will be great next summer! ha! (love ya Brad)

Anyway, Russ Taff will be a great event for NLT.

Bless ya neighbor!

Tim

Anonymous said...

I will keep leaving my comments so you dont feel like you are the only one here!!

Brad Hampton said...

You guys are harsh! I look forward to a packed house when RT is here.