Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Reading is 'Sit-Ups' for the Mind

Recently I was in my parents home and noticed that there is always a stack of books that are being read by my folks. Although they are getting older, they continue to enjoy reading. I wish more folks loved to read.

Reading stimulates the mind. With books you can relax, take a trip, get an education, or glide along the story line of a mystery...and all without leaving your chair! Abraham Lincoln was mostly self educated and he did so by reading everything he could get his hands on.

In our computerized world, we get little blips of information. 'Snippet form' communication is the way of doing business these days. Personally I think some disciplines are being lost when we lose the ability to devote time to in-depth reading. Let me challenge you to read more. It will require turning off the mind-numbing TV and engaging your brain.

Right now I am reading "When a Man's a Man" by Harold Bell Wight, "Studies in Galatians" by M.R. Deehan, and I am personally studying through the book of 1 Corinthians with our church family.

Write in and let me know what you are personally reading. Tell us if you recommend it or not.

Thanks and happy reading.

Tim

4 comments:

Terry Butler said...

Well recently I have finished up the shack. I do recommend it! It is a fictional book but its an awesome reminder of Gods love and grace and desire for our lives!

I am currently reading purpose driven life! So far so good it more of a 40 day devotional but its very rewarding and challenging!

-Terry-

Brad Hampton said...

I just finished "The Greatest Mircale in the World" by Og Mandino. Your Dad let me borrow it... short read but very inspirational.

Anonymous said...

My current "choices" of literature mainly include text books! What fun! Ha ha. But I am working on reading my Bible through again this year...although I admit I'm a little behind. I've also been reading "This is Your Brain on Music." It's an informational book about how music affects our minds, emotions, etc. I know, I know, I'm a nerd. But I'm finding it very interesting

Tim Estes said...

Terry, Brad, Kendra,

Thanks for the input. Keep up the good reading! Bless you three.

TE