Saturday, February 14, 2009

Delegation is a Pastoral Challenge

As a church or business grows there is the inherent need to transfer more and more authority to those who serve with you. Ideally, the pastor functions like a CEO who basically calls the shots, trouble shoots and casts vision while allowing those around him to carry out their specific duties. While this all sounds great, one who attempts it will find it easier said than done.

There are at least two major challenges involved. One is being certain those who are going to do the 'doing' part of the work have a clear understanding of what you are trying to accomplish. Transferal of vision is vital. It takes time, re-stating the goal over and over. Secondly, it is very difficult to simply let go. When you give it to someone, you realize your only affect will be through training or correcting. Sometimes it is faster at first to do the task yourself than to hand it off. However, in the long run the organization will benefit tremendously from delegation, even if it is a little clumsy at first. Perhaps the biggest challenge is to stay on course. When you involve more people...more people have more opinions. Everyone sees it from their perspective.

As an effective 'CEO' one should listen to all of the opinions, for there is much wisdom in that. At the end of the day I have to make the call that most closely answers the problem and also keeps us in line with the vision. There can only be one vision. In making the call it is known that everyone will not agree with it. If you have a good team, they will go along, even if they do not agree. That is teamwork and that is the kind of trust credible organizations develop.

Hope this lets you see a bit through my eyes. I believe in the power of delegation. But I also understand its challenges.

Blessings on you.

Tim

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim , Its time to Get Er Done !! You can not forsee all of the problems and imperfections in a plan until you get the plan rolling ! Wanting evverything just right is great but not practical. Some times you have to get the plan in motion to find what will work and what wont. It is time to turn us loose and let us get on with the business of the church. The number of people at the staff meeting last thursday shows me that there is a large group of poeple ready to help our church grow !! But they can not go forward with that task until you let them !! Have faith in your team ! Trust them to follow thru with your vision for our church ! Let us roll !! I know that New Life Tabernacle is your baby and its hard to turn loose. but its time !! Your baby is growing and needs the input of others to continue that growth. Just like our own children, we have to let them out in to the world, aginst our better judgement, for them to continue to grow. Otherwise we will end up with non fuctional adults living in our house for ever . We love our children so we send them to school, college, and let them make their way into the world because its the right thing to do... Once again it is too bad that no one will read your thoughts and mine except me and you !! hahaha. You are doing great man !! Keep up the good work !! And let your team start their good work !!

Tim Estes said...

Kent,

You are exactly right! I really appreciate your insight and I ask you to help me pray that this new era will help us be what we need to be.

I was encouraged by the number of staff at the 'launch' meeting. Great things are in store.

Tim

Alan Anderson said...

Tim,

I just wanted to say that i appreciate everything you do for this church and for my family. I cannot thank you enough for just being there when we needed you. I may not be able to do much, but if there is anything that i can do to help, let me know. I'm praying for you and your family. Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Dad,

Another blogger is joining you! =D Just want you to know that I understand your difficulties with allowing others to take over certain positions. We're both slight perfectionists and sometimes when you delegate jobs to other people they don't do it exactly like you would have done it. But remember that just because it isn't just like you would do it doesn't mean it's not done right. Like Kent said, trust your team. The coach can't play every position on the court. You've got awesome, passionate people ready to help move our church forward. Though it's hard to let go because it's scary, you wonder if they're ready. Well, you've trained them well so let your team do their job! I'm excited where the church is going! Expect great things! Love you!!

Tim Estes said...

Alan,

Thanks buddy. You do a great deal already. I look forward to all that God will do with your life. Keep up the good work and thanks for blogging.

Tim

Tim Estes said...

Kendra,

You are my sweetheart! I appreciate what you've written and I take it to heart. Thanks for being your daddy's fan! You are right when you mention God has surrounded us with great people. Sometimes it is so hard to believe the great folks God has entrusted us with. Pray that I will be a great 'coach'. Love you and thank God for the leadership that is inside you. You are already an amazing leader.

Love you,

Dad

Brad Hampton said...

Pastor I think we are a lot a like in this area. I often feel like I can do things the best, so why have somebody else do it? I am learning the hard way I can't do it alone. Teaching people to take ownership is so difficult at times. Mr. Ashton Burden called me and asked if he could clean the youth room a week or so ago. That was probably one of my favorite moments in leadership in a long time. Trust is hard!

Tim Estes said...

Brad,

It is a difficult road. Yet, time will tell all things. I believe the synergy created will take us farther than one or two could carry the team alone.

I am proud of Ashton and other youth who are stepping up to the plate and taking ownership. Good job on teaching.

Tonight, I will teach you a few things about basketball!! Ha

TE

Anonymous said...

Wow !! 8 comments on one blog !! Tim, I think we may have started something. Has anyone noticed that Brad spends more time blogging on Tim's blog than he does on his own blog ? I would have said that on Brads blog but he might not have seen it for weeks !! However I must say that my favorite part of the post's on here was when Kendra agreeded with me and tried to tell her Dad what a doofuss he is !! Atleast that's the way I took it !! hahaha

Tim Estes said...

Kent,

The word 'Doofuss' was no where in the blog!!! I think I read something about her dad doing an excellent job of training...of being good looking...brilliant....etc. etc.. Maybe I read it wrong too! ha

C-ya

Tim