Monday, February 23, 2009

Choosing Not to Fight

I shall admit one of my vices. Are you ready? Seriously! I am not necessarily proud of it, but I like to watch extreme fighting on TV. OK...I know I am bad, and you probably want to critique me not...so just get in line! Ha.

Extreme fighting is where the opponents are in a ring and they are allowed to use marshall arts, boxing, kicking, wrestling techniques...anything almost to get their opponent to either 'tap-out' or else knock them out! I like to watch it because it is real. No fake stuff here baby! It is knuckle and skull and usually some blood! The next reason I like it is because there is always a winner and a loser. In life it seems there are too many decisions left hanging. That is not the case at the end of four rounds of extreme fighting.

In one of my insane moments I told Trish that I wish I was about 25 again! I think I'd like to try it! I used to box some and loved to wrestle. In high school I tied for first in the school wide PE wrestling competition. Danny Blossom and I wore each other out in the championship, but I loved every second of it. Those were days prior to 40! However, I still get a charge out of watching two, half-crazed, muscular dudes fight it out in the ring.

As difficult as extreme fighting must be, I have found one of the most difficult things in life to be the necessity of 'not' fighting. Those moments when you have reason to, want to, would enjoy it...but you hold on to your emotions, your wits, and you unclench your fists and let the moment play out as it will.

Recently I hung a poster in a restaurant to advertise an upcoming concert for our church. As fate would have it, I was there a day or two later when someone with a heart full of hatred, came by and tore it down. They looked ridiculous in the eyes of the workers there and made me instantly think of a thousand and one ways to get even. Boy, I wanted the bell to ring so I could come out swinging (in a manner of speaking). But I felt the need to let time and the good Lord be the One to settle the score.

You see, when we hold our peace the Lord is the One in charge of fighting the battles. He sees all, knows all and will reckon with those who need it. His mercy is extended for a long period of time. I have been the recipient of it! But there is a time when the mercy ends and the tough times come. Been there too! It has been my experience that God does a lot better job fighting my battles than I could ever do on my own.

So, no extreme fighting in this realm. Turn out the lights and lock up the boxing ring. The only fighting that I am allowed to do is on my knees talking to God and keeping myself straight. Maybe you can understand that. When you choose not to fight against those who would like to fight against you....you will always win because God reacts to that kind of restraint. The old song says, "If I hold my peace and let the Lord fight my battles, then victory shall be mine."

In the end, I figure having to sleep with the conscience of tearing up church property and living with the overt bitterness in their heart would be punishment enough. So I chose not to fight and I am glad I did. If you will do the same, you will find life will become much easier.

There maybe someone reading this who daily or weekly deals with a mean boss, an ex-husband, a hostile landlord, or an in-law that hates your guts. Don't fight! Let God do the fighting. Cast all your cares upon God. Pray for those who despitefully use you. Like Christ, learn to forgive. You will be the winner!

For now, my fighting will have to remain on TV!

blessings,

Tim

4 comments:

Josh Napier said...

Oh, how we all have those moments of wanting to jump all over someone. Thanks for you comments!

Anonymous said...

I can really relate to you on this one! Over the years I have learned to control myself when the time comes for "push and shove" or arguing. I used to have the hardest time with that...Thanks for all the encouragement and reminding me about how important it is to reserve from that behavior and rely on God to fight the battles.

P.S. I'll have to admit that I enjoy participating in events like sparring and kickboxing. haha =D

P.S.S. You're doing such a great job as pastor of NLT! Thanks for all you do!

Tim Estes said...

Josh,

U da man!

TE

Tim Estes said...

Katie,

It is hard to imagine you as having difficulty controlling yourself. However, I have seen your black-belt demo's and I don't want to mess with ya that's for sure! You go girl.

Thanks for your kind remarks. It is an honor to pastor people such as you.

God bless you,

Pastor Tim