Saturday, July 11, 2009

Strength for the Day

As a boy I used to 'sleep in' on summer days and on the weekends during the school year. It was no problem to keep sawing logs until at least 10:00 am. Even now I marvel at how my children can hang with the covers until the morning is gone. However, it is not the same for me anymore.

Perhaps it has something to do with getting older, but I find it very difficult to 'sleep in'. I just can't do it anymore. My back hurts and I get to tossing and turning so I may as well drag my hide out of the sack. What really prevents the extra snooze is when my mind kicks into gear. If I start thinking...it's all over!

There is plenty to think about too. In fact sometimes I get overwhelmed before I get out from under the blanket. My mind goes to situations in the personal lives of people to whom I am trying to minister. I think of the pain that many are in...people sitting in hospitals with loved ones, friends who are sleepless b/c of some bad news they may have received, decisions that some are making concerning their career, their marriage or both. These weigh heavily on my mind and drive sleep far away.

Then I think of all that I need to do that day. There are always chores around the place that are prevelant. Horses need to be wormed, the garden needs to be tilled, the grass needs to be cut, there are bag worms in the evergreen, one of the cars won't start, the switch went out on the dryer, etc. So in my mind, while laying there trying to force myself to rest, I am mowing, tilling, and twisting wrenches in my mind. Good thing thinking doesn't make noise or my poor wife would never rest either.

The church and its present position is perhaps the thing that is at the fore of my thinking early in the morning. There is forever an issue to deal with, a bill that needs to be paid, a worry about a parishoner that hasn't been at church for weeks, etc, etc. I hope and pray for successful sermons, for our departments to jell and to continue growing, for people to mature and take responsibility for 'their' church and not leave it to the dedicated few. So the wheels of grey matter turn over and over until my body follows suit...and my feet hit the floor.

Just this morning I lay there thinking...."I could sleep in a few minutes today." Then I began to think of all that would be done before I leave for a trip this evening. I would finish yard work, till the garden, make a list for the church, decide who would be in charge of what, pack a suitcase, prepare a funeral sermon, check in via telephone with about 10 people, be certain all the animals were cared for during my absence, be sure everything is in place at the church, preach a sermon and then drive eleven hours. So....soon the sleeping in was out voted by the 'to do ' list.

One other thing I think we all should remember while preparing for the day is to talk to the One who knows it all and sees it all before it even begins. We should pray for strength for this day. As Jesus taught us, "Give us this day our daily bread." Today will take care of itself if I will take care of me. I do that by asking Almighty God to be my source of strength and He is always ready to help me. When I lay my head down tonight in Alabama, my chores of the day complete, it will be by the loving strength of God that I made it.

Take a moment and ask for a little strength for yourself.

Tim
P.S. And....I need to update this blog too. :)

2 comments:

Alan Anderson said...

Hey Tim,

I guess sometimes i don't realize how much you actually do. If there is ever anything i can help you do just let me know. As long as it doesn't involve speaking in front of people that is haha. Seriously though, if you ever need help with anything, id be more than happy to help with whatever. I work from 8:00 to 5:00 on week days so anytime after that just let me know. My number is 4792209164. Thanks!

Tim Estes said...

Thanks Alan. You help ease the load. Bless you buddy.

Tim