Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Amazing Grace

The title may incline you to think I'm about to blog about the most popular Christian hymn of all time. While I love the song, I want to write about this theme as it pertains to you and me.

Grace is the bridge that spans the gulf between our inadequacy and the demands of a righteous and holy God. With our best efforts, religion, worship, lifestyles...we fall dreadfully short of really pleasing God. So it is grace, that grace of the amazing variety, that presents us faultless before God.

I will be first to admit there are many who think they can 'use' grace so that they can willfully live in sin. This is so unfortunate as these people both, sell themselves short, and they fail to please God. Pleasing God is threefold. 1. Do your very best to live above any reproach at all. Strive for perfection. Treat people right. Keep your heart free of bitterness, unforgiveness, lust. Pray and seek the Lord. Study His Word. These are the things we must do. 2. Realize that our best is insufficient. 'Our' righteousness is as filthy rags! The very best you can produce in your own human efforts is so weak in light of the Holiness of God. 3. Depend upon the Grace that has been provided. Like a cripple leans on a crutch for support, we lean hard on the grace given us through the cross of Calvary! It requires faith to do this. Faith accesses all that Jesus has provided for us with His sacrifice. Therefore we are saved by grace through faith!

I'm so glad that Amazing Grace is more than a song. It is an actuality in my own life. Grace is the safety net that caught my falling soul and it is so much more than a hymn.

Tell me what you think of the Grace you have found.

No comments: