Sunday, March 2, 2008

New Conversations

Hey Friends!!

Just thinkin' about some conversations I have been having lately.  As a pastor there are always plenty of conversations in which one can be involved.  Usually many, especially in days gone by, revolved around problems they were having with the church, or others, or themselves.  Please understand, I welcome problems, but a constant barrage of complaints and gripes can make my brain a little mushy.  Admittedly I have to keep all this in balance so that I don't send the wrong signal.  An old pastor told me years ago, "The day people are out of problems is the day you are out of a job."  So far, it looks like my job is pretty safe.

With that in mind, it dawned on me how often, recently, I have been having a 'new kind of conversation.'  The new conversation focuses on new people looking to connect to our church.  Since connection to a church family is a huge and vitally important decision, the questions Trish and I get are more than interesting,...they are completely refreshing!  Seriously!

Here are some questions we have fielded lately.  Any one of them would be great blogging material.  If you have particular interest in one, we can open it up and discuss.  Following is a partial list;
1.  How long have you been the pastor?
2.  What kind of church is NLT?
3.  What is the future and vision of NLT?
4.  What is your belief on repentance & faith, water baptism and Holy Spirit baptism?
5.  What is required to become a member?
6.  How do we negotiate a similar transition as you have gone through? (from legalism to grace)
7.  Do you have any regrets about transitioning to a non denominational position?
8.  What does your church offer for our children and young people?
9.  Is your music always that loud?  
10.  How long do I have to wait to be used in your church?

Now these are the kinds of questions that create optimism for our future.  We are at a position of total openness...nothing to hide.  We do not have to pick and choose our way through the verses of the bible in order to validate a particular denominational view.  Objectivity is the goal.

 Our church is a Bible-based, Christ-centered, Spirit-filled church.  We learn together, grow together, and forgive together.  My life is a story of Grace that will give hope to many others who are struggling on life's way.  New Life hopefully lives up to its name by offering a 'new life' to those who enter.  Our failures are not our focus and they are only final if we let them keep us down.  We look to lift, to help, to serve other people.

I realize our future is amazingly bright for many reasons.  One, I know the miracles that have been given us through the years are for a purpose.  This church is on track to do great things for the Lord.  Second, God has graciously allowed me to look more deeply into His Word with understanding that will provide pathways to freedom for many people.  Finally, our future is amazingly bright because, for the first time, people are asking the right kind of questions.  I am enjoying these 'new conversations'.  

Blessings to one and all!
Pastor Tim 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a question for you. If you were to travel forward in time, say ten years in the future, what does NLT look like?

Mervin Church

Tim Estes said...

Ten years from now will be here before you know it. It is difficult to know the events which will shape our future. However, based on what I see occurring at NLT and the vision God has placed in my heart, I have challenged our leadership to be looking at 500-600 people within the next 5 years. If that occurs we will undoubtedly be looking at well over 1200 people in ten years. With the influx of people will also be the resources to develop the acreage God has given us. None of this will happen without consistent prayer and diligence on our part. With God all things are possible!

Anonymous said...

when will we be able to hear praise and worship in your podcast service. I miss that as much as the teaching. I know im am far away but i still love to hear the sounds of NLT's praise and worship as it makes me feel whole with that part included. I have seen miracles myself at NLT and look forward to hearing the upcoming testimony's if they are also included in the podcast.