Thursday, December 31, 2009

Saying Goodbye to the Old....Hello to the New Year!

With just a few more hours left in the year 2009, many memories flood my mind in retrospection. In general, it has personally been a year of progress in many ways. Some years require all our efforts to simply maintain. Other years have found us regressing. But this past year has been one of moving forward in many aspects. For all of these progressions I give honor and praise to the Lord above.

My own family has been blessed abundantly. My parents have recovered from some really rough years of poor health. I marveled as I watched them enjoy Christmas with their whole family. They were opening presents, singing and having an all around nice time without the nagging pain of the past. I love my extended family. Each one of you hold a special place in my heart.

My children are growing quickly into adults. Both of them are mature beyond their years and I feel that I don't have to worry overtly about their well-being. Having a good head and heart they will be certain of a successful future as long as Jesus is at the center of all they do. I am so grateful for their health, their scholarship and their love for the Lord. I look upon them with Godly pride each time I see them.

Trish, my dear wife, is such an amazing lady. I have never known anyone who works with more devotion to the Kingdom of God. She doesn't like me to say it, but she is truly the greatest Christian I've ever known. She lives a life of service, of forgiveness and doesn't have it in her to hold a grudge. She is an amazing worship leader and will not settle for second best. Her strong leadership is an asset to our ministry. I could go on and on about her abilities .....one of which is being an excellent cook. That is why I am always fighting the battle of the bulge. I am blessed with a strong and courageous lady at my side.

The church we pastor, New Life, is moving in a positive direction. God has brought some first class, amazing people to our church. I don't know how or why God has been so good to me. I do not deserve it. God has allowed Trish and me to minister to many married couples who struggle with various issues. Several marriages have been saved, although we wish we could be 100%. We have had some amazing people return to the church who left a few years ago. Words can't express how gratifying it has been to welcome them back, and to see them quickly find their respective places in the work of God. The church broke its all time, annual attendance record in 2009 by averaging more than 237 on Sunday. We baptized something over 50 people and saw many people saved, many Spirit baptized and many who are still in the process. We have an awesome staff that will no doubt cause us to rise to greater heights. The past year was filled with incredible events including, Trunk R Treat, Revival of Service, Youth Camp, One Night, VBS, Friend Day, Christmas Cantata, Hope events, the advent of JR. High Ministry, Girls Night Out, Men's Campout, and many other events. Each Discovery Class is filled with excellent people looking for a church to connect to that is friendly, Bible based and has a flow of the Holy Spirit. What a great church!!

My work at the funeral home has afforded me many opportunities for ministry. I cannot tell you how many funerals I have preached this year for people that I formerly did not know. There are new people in the church due to our connection in their moments of hardship. It is part of my calling to stand by folks in their hours of darkness and need. I have had dear friends who have lost children in the past year. My heart breaks for them. Only God can help them through such loss. I have personally had to say goodbye to some loved ones and friends this year. This is the course of life. Through it all God is faithful.

On a personal note, our family enjoyed some special times. Trish and I had our annual get-a-way in May and caught a lot of fish. We were able to take our kids on a week long cruise and we all enjoyed fun in the sun and sand. In the fall, I was blessed to take my first mule deer in Wyoming, a nice 3x3, that is already on the wall. I have made many new friendships. I'd never have guessed my facebook friend list would ever approach 725 people. That is humbling. How blessed I am.

I have remained busy serving as a Chaplain for our local fire department with its outstanding men and women. It is an honor to chair our local hospital board as we prepare to break ground in a year on a 40 plus million dollar hospital. As Director of Chaplaincy for the hospital, there have been many calls to stand by those who were critically ill or dying. I applaud the efforts of my fellow chaplains who serve with distinction.

Looking ahead, there is much work to do. With the work comes much opportunity. My primary focus is on our church. I believe the coming year will see more progress both within and without. It is possible that we could go to two services in the next few months. Growth requires change. We will continue to work on the challenges, pray, worship, and remain accountable to our leadership in order that God's favor may continue on our assembly. I will simply hold on to the hand of God and believe Him for the best there is.

While the world is in trouble and times appear to be waxing worse and worse, we are promised all the necessary provisions in the Word of God. The church will not fail. Building your family, your hope, your eternity on all that was bought by Jesus at the cross, is the safest thing in the universe. Let me say to my friends...I love you and thank you for all you've done to stand by me. Let me say to my enemies (if I have any), let's talk and open the Word of God together. Truth is a simple thing and it paves the way for great relationships regardless of whatever is in the past. I extend the hand of fellowship and love to all. May 2010 be a time of building on the ground that was gained in 2009. Happy New Year!!

No comments: