Monday, September 22, 2008

How to Get Big Muscles in Thirty Days

I remember reading an advertisement touting the title of this blog, when I was but a lad.  At the time the big muscles sounded quite appealing, especially in such a short time.  Every boy that read that could envision himself laden with perky pecks, triumphant triceps, and bountiful biceps.  The problem is you can't get muscles...at least not the kind shown in the ad...in thirty days.  Before you sport big muscles you must first have a dedication to discipline yourself beneath the weights.  Months of proper diet, rest, and exercise...I mean the kind where you drip sweat and turn red in the face, is required.

When folks discuss their desire to rise above sin, to become an effective witness, to renew torn relationships, I am reminded of the dedication needed to build muscle.  Similar dedication is needed for spiritual progress.  There is no secret to it.  Just as in muscles, more people wear their spiritual flab rather than big biceps simply because the work, the pain, the pride swallowing is just too much for them.  It hurts to make progress!  It is hard to make amends!   There is no magic formula or a once read book that will usher one into the halls of spiritual success.  

Friend, your success is found in getting up day after day and pursuing your prize until you are weary to the core and then finding the strength to do it all again the next day.  You either want it badly enough to work in a determined manner...or you don't.  It is that simple.

In a radio address on May 15, 1982, President Ronald Reagan said, "In James Michener's book, The Bridges a Toko-Ri, he writes of an officer waiting through the night for the return of planes to a carrier as dawn is coming on.  And he asks, "Where do we find such men?" Well, we find them where we've always found them.  They are the product of the freest society man has ever known.  They make a commitment to the military - make it freely, because the birthright we share as Americans is worth defending."

Those who rise above and do the extra-ordinary are they who know the extra-ordinary cost that will be involved and are willing to pay it.  I challenge you to rethink your future.  Set some high goals and decide if you have what it takes to get your 'muscles'.  They may not show up today, but with time and persistence...they will show up.  Remember I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.  He strengthens me to push the bar upward one more time!
Tim

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's just what I needed to her today Pastor. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

This is a great blog. I enjoyed reading it! Good job Mr. Tim. THank you for sharing your thoughts and words with all of us.

Anonymous said...

Dad,

You are very right. Even I am guilty sometimes of expecting God just to fix my problems automatically or for one time at the altar to turn me into the perfect Christian, when it isn't anything like that.
I'm not sure where it's found, but your blog brings to mind the scripture,"I will press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of Christ Jesus." That's ultimately what we're all striving for. Thanks for reminding me that it takes discipline to be a true follower Christ.

Love,
Kendra

Unknown said...

"You either want it badly enough to work in a determined manner, or you don't. It's that simple"

I read this in your blog the other day and was stopped in my tracks. I wrote it down on the notebook nearest me, because it is so true. We live in a culture so used to being entertained that it's often easy to start feeling entitled; entitled to basically any of our momentary whims. It's so refreshing to remember that the law of sowing and reaping is still in effect... God really does reward the ones that DILIGENTLY seek him.

Thanks Pastor Tim for keeping up the blog, I'm subscribed to it and I read every new post. Blessings from San Diego

-Kenny Liles
embracetheprocess.wordpress.com

Tim Estes said...

Wow! Thanks for the comments guys. Kenny you are right. Entitlement is a dangerous mindset. Kendra...we must keep pressing forward! Kayce, you made my day...I believe in you. Anon, thanks for your comments and you are welcome.

Blessings all,

Tim