Friday, September 26, 2008

Biker's and Religious Bologna

Welcome to the 100k plus bikers coming into Northwest Arkansas for "Bikes, Blues and BBQ."  There is a constant rumble in front of my home as these two-wheeled machines and their riders congregate for some fun.

Last year I got a motorcycle.  My dear brother Aaron Mahan gave it to me.  (Thank you Aaron)It is a 600 Honda Shadow and it is a honey!  I love to ride that baby and so does Trish.  I am one cool cat when I am cruising down the interstate.  (Ha!  Forty-two and cool?  Hardly!)  Perhaps a tatoo would help!  (Oh please...I'm not getting a tat...relax!!)

I was thinking about how my feelings toward bikers used to be.  Somehow I had chosen to believe...or been taught to think that whiskers, and the funky clothing added up to something close to the devil.  Isn't it amazing how we sterotype people in a spiritual sense?  I think that is called 'judging'.  Anyway, through time I have learned these people are just ordinary people like you and me, only they are wearing their cultural costume of choice...just like a cowboy wears a hat and boots, runners wear nike gear, or a religious sect wears neckties on men and long dresses on women.  

However, the condition of the soul is not determined by the outward appearance.  I know some rough looking bikers who love God with amazing intensity.  Growing churches often have 'Biker Ministries' in their repertoire of ministry.

Don't let the looks fool you.  That is purely religious bologna!  God looks on the heart.  Who knows, one day there may be a Bikes, Blues and BBQ in heaven...only there will be no reason to sing the blues.  One thing for sure, bologna is really good on a BBQ pit!

Think on it!

Tim

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Pastor. I wish more people would truely understand that whats in the heart is what God is after.

Tim Estes said...

Thanks. I pray God will open our heart to see, love and forgive people in the manner He does.

Have a blessed day.

Pastor Tim