Monday, May 19, 2008

Tribute to Dottie Rambo

Saturday, May 17th, 2008 the memorial service was held in Nashville, Tennessee for one of gospel music's most prolific songwriters.  Her name...Dottie Rambo.  Dottie's earthly life ended when her tour bus was apparently forced off the road by high winds, near Mt. Vernon, Missouri.

I have long appreciated Dottie's music.  It is said that she wrote over 2500 songs.  Each one of her songs had a strong Biblical message, with a twist of country/down-home flavor.  She was mightily anointed and gifted.  Many of her songs are hymnal standards.  The powerful messages set to music, moved me to tears.

As a boy, I remember laying in front of an old, console stereo and listening to long-play albums of the Rambos.  Each song evoked strong feelings inside me.  Even to this day I am moved to hear her sing songs like, "I will glory in the cross", "He looked beyond my faults and saw my needs", "Tears will never stain the streets of that city", "Just build my mansion next door to Jesus" and countless other wonderful songs.

Having written her first song at age eight, Dottie's mother knew that there would be a price to pay for such a gift.  Dottie's life was filled with suffering, both physically and emotionally.  Yet, she persevered and the 'thorns' in her flesh gave birth to the aroma of many 'roses' of life.

I personally respect Dottie as a hero because she broke away from a legalistic denominational affiliation many years ago.  She and her family were virtually crucified for it.  The Rambo's became fodder for many sermon illustrations among the legalists.  Dottie sang about the gospel message and grace...she knew it, loved it and lived it.  In the book entitled, "The Legacy of Buck and Dottie Rambo" you can read where the former General Superintendent of the denominal group they left, called for Buck and Dottie to come to his bedside where he lay dying.  Upon their arrival the man asked the Rambos to forgive him for the way he and the denomination had treated them.  I honor them for staying the course and following their heart, as well as the Word of God.

As long as her songs are sung, Dottie Rambo will continue to influence the lives of people all around the world.  I just want to thank God for flavoring my life with the amazing sounds and sermons found in the songs of Dottie Rambo.  Rest in peace sister, sheltered safe within the arms of God!

Let me know if Dottie's songs influenced you.

Tim Estes

No comments: