Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My Requests; Balancing the Big with the Little

Been watching the news lately?  It is like seeing a horror film with the earthquakes and cyclones in the orient, not to mention the tornadoes that have recently ripped through the Midwestern states of our beloved land.  Seeing clips of people trapped beneath rubble, and watching a death toll climb into the ten's of thousands is almost more than a body can stand.  

With all that going on I found myself, actually caught myself, asking God for rather trivial things.  Things like, "Lord help us have a good day today."  Or, "Lord, let us have good weather for my fishing trip."  There perhaps countless prayers such as these that we pray daily which are mostly about our own selfishness.  

This caused me to ponder..."Do I have the right to pray these things when there are so many greater needs in the world."  In other words, I feel some guilt for asking God to bless my corn patch when there are mother's going hungry and sleepless on the other side of the globe, worried sick about their children trapped beneath tons of masonry and steel.  My wants are so small compared to the big needs around the world.  

So, I looked into the Word for some help.  James 4:1-3 states, "What is causing the quarrels and fights among you?  Isn't it the whole army of evil desires at war within you?  You want what you don't have, so you scheme and kill to get it.  You are jealous for what others have, and you can't possess it, so you fight and quarrel to take it away from them.  And yet the reason you don't have what you want is that you don't ask God for it.  And even when you do ask, you don't get it because your whole motive is wrong - you want only what will give you pleasure." 

The whole idea of motive comes to mind here.  James is writing specifically about our selfish, greedy humanity which is the lust that corrupts all things and ultimately leads to war.  I have to constantly check myself, so that the focus of my prayer is not on my own selfishness.

Now for the balance.  As children of God we are to make our requests and petitions known.  God's Word said, in Psalm 37:4, "Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you your heart's desires."  I think of other texts which invite us to "Ask and we shall receive...", or "If two of you shall agree...you shall have it."  etc.  Well, many consider this an open invite to start asking for a new BMW or a six-figure income, or a new this or that.  I have found when I do the first part of Psalm 37:4 (delight myself in the Lord), my selfish appetites disappear.  I believe our selfish prayers are mostly asked amiss.  (a KJV word)  

At the same time, we should never be afraid to make our most simple requests known to God.  He loves us and wants to bless our lives, even with the things we 'want' rather than 'needing'.  As for me, I am certain God knows my personal want list.  My best option is to pray God's prayer requests (Mt 9:38, John 17), and then at the appropriate time, God will bless me with the things I need as well as with the blessings that I am capable of handling.  Since God is the God of the whole world, (Did you know God is not Democrat or Republican, He is not Asian nor American...He is God) I personally think I should be praying for those suffering in China, than to be concerned with my fishing weather.  If I do my part for others, God always does His part for me.  

Whether or not we get the BMW is immaterial.  God has promised to provide all our needs, according to His riches.  I'm trying to balance the big with the little.  Hope this makes sense to ya. 

Food for thought!

Pastor T  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

>>The whole idea of motive comes to mind here.
Food for thought!
Pastor T

What comes to mind for me Pastor T, besides possible wrong motives (lack of self-knowledge), is the idea of what it might mean to actually rest/abide in Christ (Jn. 15). These days whenever I think of prayer, I don't necessarily think of words being uttered, or even an actual time set aside for the discipline of prayer. I think more along the lines of a life centered around Jesus-- a life being lived in a listening, responsive posture. (I am not downplaying the necessity of words being spoken or discipline.....this is just where I am, what I am personally hearing from Jesus these days.)

Truth is, much of my journey has been about Jesus untangling me from bearing a false sense of responsibility for things outside of my realm of responsibility.

Jesus once showed me an equation. It goes like this: stress equals bearing a sense of responsibility where you have no authority (stress = responsibility - authority).

I really want to be open to GO and to DO for Jesus. Maybe today He will impress China on my heart?If so, hopefully I will respond in obedience--thus releasing His authority.

Karen

Tim Estes said...

Karen,
Good points. Where does the realm of our responsibility end? I certainly don't want to cause people to feel guilty unnecessarily and yet feel responsibility for prayer and, as you say, constant relationship.

Blessings - and...I think the equation is cool!!

Tim

Anonymous said...

I highly doubt you caused anyone unnecessary guilt Tim. As far as I'm concerned, you spoke words of encouragement/exhortation. I appreciate the opportunity to think out loud and respond honestly.

>>Where does the realm of our responsibility end?

LOL! Now there's a good question.... for which I have no answer!:-)

Do you think this could be connected with our ability to hear Jesus in the NOW? There are a lot of scriptures that hold us responsible for many things. It'd be overwhelming though, if you approach the Word having an attitude: 'I've gotta do this, that, and the other thing RIGHT NOW because I just read it in the Word." Reading a verse can indeed spark a prompting from God, be a NOW word....but maybe not.

For me, the early years of parenting were the clearest times of understanding my personal realm of responsibility. I knew God called me to be a mom.

>>I certainly don't want to cause people to feel guilty unnecessarily and yet feel responsibility for prayer and, as you say, constant relationship.

Your realm of responsibility extends out and touches a lot of people. I'm sure others will share this burden and join with you in prayer. I appreciate your friendship Tim. Thanks.

Karen Stone

Tim Estes said...

You know you are right. The Word of God touches where we are and speaks to our moment. The Remah is infinitely aware of our circumstances. In the big and the little things, God is concerned and knows how to reach us. He holds the worlds up with the power of His Word...and He cares for the lillys in the field. What a God!

Thanks for your comments. You and Tim are great friends to us too. Blessings on your day.

Tim