Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Of Trout... and Christianity

On the surface you may think you have an answer to the topical question of...."What are the characteristics of a Christian?"  Before you give one of those 'automatic' responses, let me take your thoughts a little deeper.  

The last couple of days I spent relaxing on a trout-fishing trip with several other pastors and lay ministers.  It was most enjoyable and needed time off.  When I arrived at the resort, I was introduced to the guys with whom I would be fishing.  Right away one fellow caught my eye.  I could tell he was not a pastor but I knew he was a good fisherman.  As we began to talk about fishing (one thing we all had in common) this fellow was on my radar.  Although he was very quiet, I could tell he was more than a casual fisherman.  He had the signs of something special.

Let me describe him to you.  He was an older gentleman, with a snow-white head of hair and mustache.  His face and hands showed the weathering of hours and years in the sun.  He was a no frills guy.  (Usually trout fishermen are considered the 'Gentlemen Fishermen' and they have all the fancy gear and finesse required to fit the image.)  Not this fellow.  He had on an old floppy, brown, felt cowboy hat and jeans.  He was the only one who brought his 'own' boat...a worn, old 'john' boat that had obviously had more fish hauled over its sides than than many of the 'high-dollar' rigs.  His fishing equipment, while nice, did not have the store-room gleam about them.  They had been well used.  Without him saying a word, I could tell he was the real deal.  I may not know much, but I can tell a real fisherman when I see one!

After the introductions, I learned that he lived near a little-known crappie hotspot.  Although I have not fished in the little lake, I have heard about the many crappie it gives up in the spring of the year.  I supposed him to be one of those faithful few who study the patterns, and watch the budding dogwoods as a sign.  So....I gently asked the old gentleman if he knew about the lake.  He didn't have to say a word, because his eyes lit up like a neon light and a big smile broke across his face!  Not only did he know about it...he fished it faithfully!  He informed me that he is waiting for the water to hit 65 degrees and then the spawn is on.  (I admit to dropping a hint or two to him...ha.)  He was a charming chap and wonderful to visit with, full of wit and wisdom.

Throughout the day, as our boat drifted near his boat on the river, I watched him fish.  He was really good at it, but in a non-flashy way.  Without flair he caught perhaps more fish than anyone on the river that day...even more than the local who was guiding us.  Somewhere at the end of the day one of his buddies told me the old man was one of the best crappie fishermen around!  You know...nobody had to tell that to me.  I just knew it.

In light of this delightful fisherman I met, I have to think about my life and yours as Christians.  We are Christ's ambassadors, placed here to represent Jesus Christ to the world.  Most folks know us as Christians.  We are to be recognized as fishers of men...are we not?  I have found, as I am sure you have, that 'saying' you are a Christian and 'being' one, especially an easily recognizable one, is not necessarily one and the same.  You see anybody can go to the Sporting Goods department and carry out a rod, reel, and tackle.  But none of those things make you a really good fisherman, anymore than going to church each Sunday, and wagging your Bible makes you and me a good Christian.  There is more to it.  Years of relationship with Christ shows up in unmistakable fashion.

I think of Paul's writing in Galatians 6:14-17.  He ends his dispute on whether circumcision is an outward sign of being saved or not.  He rests his case by saying, "For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision avails (is good for) anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature."  He means your outward stuff is meaningless.  Our new tackle box doesn't impress God!

Then Paul seems almost contradictory in verse 17.  "...for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus."  He was not speaking here about circumcision.  This man of God had been beaten, stoned, ship-wrecked, and imprisoned many times for the gospel.  No doubt he had scars, perhaps walked with a limp and may have had an eye missing...all because of his devotion to the gospel.   These 'marks' were proof that he was a child of God.  In Paul's mind, circumcision was the least of the real symbols of being a child of God!

I am not suggesting we have to be tortured or scarred to be recognized as a Christian.  Yet, there are some signs that let us know when we have come into the presence of a real man or woman of God.  You know what I mean?  I mean you can just tell!  Perhaps you'd like to comment on people you have known, who bear the marks, beyond the shadow of any doubt, they are a real Christian.  Let us know what characteristics lead you to that conclusion. Thanks in advance for writing in!

Pastor Tim 

P.S.  My biggest trout was an 18 inch Brown Trout that was a beaut!  (Approx 3 1/2 pounder)...caught on 2 lb. test line and an ultra light set-up.  NICE!!!

2 comments:

karen stone said...

I hate to see anyone write from the heart and not get a response....so here I am writing again!
I must say though, that I'm a little apprehensive about writing when others, especially women, aren't joining the conversation. So HEY Tim, go get Trish for me, will you?:-)

Well anyway here's what I think....
What I'm able to touch in those who've encountered Jesus (and received His personal dealings) is a certain fragrance. It's not about a smile or a way of talk or even about performance.... What I sense is a certain depth that speaks much louder than words. Does that make sense? A couple of scriptures immediately came to mind as I read your story about the fisherman.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words, but in power. I Cor. 4:20

"But thanks be to God, who always leads us in His triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place. For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are perishing; to the one an aroma from death to death, to the other an aroma from life to life. And who is adequate for these things? For we are not like many, peddling the word of God, but as from sincerity, but as from God, we speak in Christ in the sight of God. 2 Cor. 2:14-17

"For our gospel did not come to you in word only, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction..." I Thess. 1:5

I think 'preaching the Gospel' is about a whole lot more than giving a sermon or even sharing directly from the Word.

Sounds to me like that fisherman friend of yours preached without saying much in the way of words.
And if you ask me, That's powerful!:-)

Karen Stone

Tim Estes said...

Karen...you save the day. We are getting plenty of hits on the site but not many comments. I am told to be consistent and in time others will join in. Thanks for your faithful comments. And...yes, we need to get Trish to writing in too. She preaches to me at home! I am a captive audience...kidding! She's great!

I appreciated your scripture reference. I forget who said this quote but I love it. "Evangelize everywhere you go and only if you must, use words." That is actually a paraphrase...but the point is well made.

Keep writing and give my best to your honey too.