Friday, April 4, 2008

Rain

It's been a wet spring.  We should be glad for the rain.  I am always grateful for it, since my dad was a farmer and instilled the value of water into me.  But sometimes I don't like the rain.  

Rain spoils days of fun which were previously planned.  My yard work is postponed...and piles up.  Then there is the mud, mess and the melancholy!  That's the downside.  Again, the rain is necessary.

Sometimes the rain is too much.  The river overflows, people are flooded out of their homes and sometimes people drown.  I guess at the end of the day we are affected by the rain according to three things... our preparation, our shelter and our ability to adjust.  

Preparation:  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.  Getting prepared is important.  The Bible speaks of a wise man and a fool.  The only difference really was their ability to look down the road.  A fool never counts the cost, a wise man always does.  Floods come every few years...build accordingly.

Shelter:  Standing in my home I watched sheets of rain fall and the lightning flash.  It was awesome!  Wonder how the natives survived such storms 200 years ago?  I'll bet they weren't as comfortable as I was that day.  Your shelter is important.  Read Psalm 91 and how we are given the protection beneath the shadow of the Almighty.  Stay close to God=protection!

Ability to Adjust:  Rigidity is deadly.  People who are inflexible crumble!  Palm trees survive because they are strong enough to bend.  When the winds of doubt, fear, disappointment, loss, frustration and a million other things howl against your soul, I hope you have the ability to adjust to the storm.  If you can keep from snapping and learn to bend (especially at the knees) you can survive.

Sunny days will come again for you.  Rain makes everything grow.  It gives life, but only if you are ready for it! 

Have a great weekend!

Tim  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rigidity is deadly. Thats exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks Pastor T.