Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Whitney Houston's Comeback

This morning I watched as Good Morning America hosted the comeback of an American Pop Icon, Whitney Houston. Whitney is one of the most widely enjoyed singers in history. I watched with great anticipation as I too enjoyed her soulful singing in days gone by.

Like many in the world of entertainment, she fell victim to the pressure, the temptations, that often comes with the stress of pleasing the masses. Coupled with a tumultuous marriage, Whitney succumed to drug abuse. She has subsequently been absent from the stage and but not from the hearts of her followers.

I have to say I felt a variety of feelings while watching this amazing lady as she struggled to get back the game that was once so stellar. Her voice was not the silky brilliance I had remembered. It was ragged at times and she strained to reach some of the notes she used to hit with perfect and profound pitch. She was over-energized as though she was trying to convince the audience she still had it. I felt sorry for her in moments where it appeared that she recognized it was not flowing as she had envisioned it might. While there were many moments that were less than comfortable....I had to honor her.

Throughout the entire mini-concert, I admired Whitney for being willing to be vulnerable. She put her neck on the line in front of the world. She didn't hide the fact that there had been issues, struggles, failures and that the Whitney of old would never return to her youthful form. Yet, she persisted. Despite the ragged moments, there was that spirit of perseverance that came shining through in her personality. She became a new kind of icon. One that speaks of triumph over adversity and that failure is not final if one is willing to get back out on the stage of life!

I wish Whitney the very best in her comeback. She is trying. It's not beautiful at this point, but her effort is gorgeous! Rock on Whitney!

Tim

1 comment:

Kendra Estes said...

Ha ha. Dad, you crack me up! But we can all learn a lesson of perseverance from her story...now only if I could get a voice lesson from her!!