Saturday, May 23, 2009

When the Baby Cries....

Today at a high school graduation I heard an unhappy baby cry out. Even though there was a large crowd present, the baby's voice could be plainly heard due to the acoustics of the building. As I sat there I thought of all the various responses to that cry. Read on and see what your response may have been.

All the young, single folks were like..."I wish somebody would get that cranky, squalling brat out of here and stop it from ruining our party. The parents in the room, especially the mothers were feeling the 'poor baby' syndrom. The moms in the crowd were attempting to get a remedy in their minds...."wonder if the baby is wet?"...."must have cholic and needs some gas-x"....or "if they would get those uncomfortable clothes off that baby she would be quiet." The third group in the crowd was the grandparents and people who have been in such a predicament. They were thinking, 'poor mom'....'I hope someone will help that lady with the baby'......'Where is the dad in this scenario?'

Perhaps you can add your own thoughts to the above situation. If you live long enough, you may feel all the emotions above. One thing is sure...when something happens everybody sees it through the lens of their own experiences. I remembered that when the baby cried.

Tim

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Tim, I too heard the baby's cry and I was in the "mom" group. Something within me stirred and I just wanted to go find the baby and try to console it myself (as if I could do something its own parent couldn't -ha!). I also found myself in the category of pitying the poor parents because I know how uncomfortable it can be in that situation when you feel the world is glaring you down. I hope that I find myself in the position of helping and not glaring each time those moments appear in my life.