Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Hunting...More Than Shooting Animals

As a young boy I developed a love for hunting. My childhood friend and I were stalking birds with BB Guns when we were but 8 years old. Into my teen years I looked for opportunities to hunt. Often I found myself riding in vehicles full of grown men who were willing to take me, either because they recognized my love of the sport, or because I simply drove them crazy wanting to go along. Either way, I savored the moments then as I do now.

I think that is one of the best parts of hunting. The memories remain long after the shots are fired and the warm camp fires die away. Hunting entails so much more than the taking of game. While this is the ultimate goal, the other parts are equally gratifying. As the spouse of any hunter can tell you, hunting requires a lot of equipment. The various seasons and their accompanying opportunities means the avid hunter must be outfitted with gun, bow, muzzle-loader, and...sling-shot, and whatever else they sell. Clothing, binocs, camping gear, etc are the tools that go along with the menagerie of hunting.

When I look at the trophies on my wall, I recall the way the hunt went and how the shots were made. More than that I remember the times spent eating camp food, which incidentally is the best, and the times laughing and even weeping as hearts are shared. Im must tell you that my trophies are not trophies when compared with many of the true "Boone and Crockett" type trophies that exist. Nonetheless, they are trophies to me.

Recently I went back to the Hill Country of Texas with a new friend God blessed me with. His name is Shawn, a pastor from Oklahoma. We had such a great time! We met other pastors and hunted with them, then spent the evening hours around the fire, talking, 'preaching', and singing along with a flat-top guitar played by Joel Hemphill. It was a memorable time to say the least. It was great to be hunting again after taking a couple of years away. It is so inspiring to watch the sun rise and set from a deer blind. This is an experience all people should know at least once in their lives. It is amazing to watch the world awaken, the birds begin to sing and search for their 'breakfast', and to watch the most graceful animal on the planet, the whitetail deer, move like a shadow among the brush. God speaks clearly at daybreak.

Our hunt concluded with both my friend and I taking a buck and a doe apiece. Neither bucks were 'wall-hangers', mine especially had serious ground shrinkage. But, we had a great time, I have a new lifelong friend, and I also have a cupboard full of excellent deer jerky. I was blessed to also take a nice, young hog on the trip. It will spend some time on the grill!

I thank God for the opportunity to enjoy the wild once again with my hunting friends. Memories were made that will be with me the rest of my life. That is really what hunting is all about. Good luck, Happy Hunting, and God bless.

Tim

No comments: