Friday, July 18, 2008

Pressing On

If you have ever rode a roller-coaster you can probably recall that wicked clatter as the machine slowly climbs a very steep hill...clank, clank, clank.  I think the reasoning, besides the physics involved, is to let you see just how high you are getting before the exhilaration of the descent.  It is the thrill of the sudden drop that everyone stands in line for an hour or more for.  And thrilling it is indeed!  The older I get, the more those drops are mere endurance rather than enjoyment.

You know in life we like the downhill times too.  Times when things are good, free-flowing, enjoyment is at a high etc.  It has been my experience that those times come in cycles.  Usually after a long period of 'clanking' your way through some of the not so pleasant times.  Let me encourage you the ride is going to be worth the 'clank'.  

God has promised to be with us and go with us in the exciting times and through the times where we seem to be climbing...s..l..o..w..l..y.  While you are climbing be sure to take a look over the edge if you dare, and just watch the progress.  Progress will take you to where you want to go.  This applies if you are talking about your relationship with God, finding your place in the church, improving your marriage, or becoming a better individual.  Keep climbing.

When you break over the top and the exciting downhill times arrive, I hope to be there to hear you shouting with glee.

Have a wonderful day in Jesus.

Tim 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tim. How's your garden growing these days?
I'm getting 'just enough', if ya know what I mean. Enough to keep a few friends supplied, but not completely overwhelmed....at least not yet.

I thought Sunday's devotional in "My Utmost for His Highest" offered an interesting perspective. I've been taking what you said, taking what it said, listening, and seeing what Jesus wants to unfold within me.

Oswald says: "When we are in an unhealthy state physically or emotionally, we always want thrills. In the physical domain this will lead to counterfeiting the Holy Ghost; in the emotional life it leads to inordinate affection and the destruction of morality; and in the spiritual domain if we insist on getting thrills, on mounting up with wings, it will end in the destruction of spirituality."

Boy have I seen this!
So in light of this, I'm thinkin' maybe we oughta get off that rollercoaster altogether! LOL!

I think human tendency is to constantly measure progress. And I'm thinkin' maybe this way of seeing gets us into some trouble?

Anyway, I always enjoy reading your thoughts.... seeing how Jesus wants to take your offering and unfold His truths into my heart.

Thanks for speaking from your heart....and for being a friend to us Stone's.

Karen

Tim Estes said...

Thanks Karen. I sent over a few veggies with your honey this morning. Hope you enjoy. The hybrid squash may or may not be good...but I know the yellow is. Enjoy.

Great comment on a sign of our unhealthiness is our need for thrills. If that is true America is in big trouble. We want it bigger, better, faster, more chills etc. Sometimes I find myself wanting to go backward...know what I mean. I think a cabin in the mountains with spring water and venison might do the trick for me. Ha...I'm nuts!

Have a blessed day. Thank y'all for being friends with the Estes clan too!

Tim